9.1.12

Obi equals Sash

Obi in English is literally means a "sash". The sash is for traditional Japanese dress and part of  kimono outfits. The obi for men's kimono is rather narrow, but a woman's formal obi can be wider and longer. Nowadays, a woman's wide and decorative obi does not keep the kimono closed, this is done by different undersashes and ribbons worn underneath the obi. The obi itself also requires the use of stiffeners and ribbons.

[photo by me from Bon Odori Fest last Sept]

There are many different types of women's obi, and the usage of them is regulated by many unwritten rules not unlike those that concern the kimono itself. Certain types of obi are used with certain types of kimono; the obis of married and unmarried women are tied in different ways. Often the obi adjusts the formality and fanciness of the whole kimono outfit: the same kimono can be worn to very different situations depending on what kind of obi is worn with it.

[photo by me from Bon Odori Fest last Sept] 

Originally all obis were tied in the front. Later on fashion began to affect the position of the knot and obis could be tied to the side or to the back. As obis grew wider the knots grew bigger, and it was becoming common to tie the obi in the front.

[photos by me from Bon Odori Fest last Sept]



Balmain and Lagerfeld are inspired with the Obis as well and incorporate Obi in their designs.

[photos from google image]

My take on tonight, is a modern Obi that belted my mini dress,




thank you all for stopping by and viewing the post...
xxx

Soan Galuh beach

Soan Galuh beach is my source of inspiration. When I feel like I need inspirations in my clay work, I would just get my motorbike and drive ...